Wednesday, June 13, 2012

When the moon hits your eye like a big pizza pie

Today we woke up at the crack of dawn to head to the Borghese Gallery. This will be my second time there and I'm actually really excited because it was one of my favorite tours. We hopped on the bus around 7:30 and had to be there by 8:30. It actually worked out well because Kyle and his family had reserved tickets for the same time, so we navigated our way there together. We had to switch buses once and it was a easy ride on over. We even had the small handicapped bus so I told them we had reserved a private bus just for us haha. We took up all the seats on the bus between the 7 of us!

We arrived there early and sat outside for a minute admiring the park nearby. We were let in and we checked in with our reservation and picked up a spot on the English guided tour. We had little headphones and the guide had a mic so we could hear her throughout the gallery. She was no Frederica, but she still knew a lot of the information. I was so glad I got to see some of my favorite sculptures again such as Apollo and Daphne and Pluto and Proserpina. I think my mom and Gigi enjoyed the tour as well!

After we found our way to a 116 bus stop heading back in the direction we came. We stopped near the Trevi Fountain. I've been very proud of myself, I've been navigating around Rome taking them places we've been and new bus stops and routes to restaurants. Tour Gyle would be proud! (our nickname for Kyle). We stopped at the Trevi and tossed some coins then we kept walking in the direction of the Pantheon. We stopped at a restaurant along the way and I had cheese and spinach cannolis, cotoletta, salad, french fries, and tiramisu. The table next to us got champagne so of course my mom made a joke about how we didn't get champagne and the waiter said he'd take care of us, so he brought us shots of lemonchello after our meal. I was the only one to take a shot so we gave the other two to the couple next to us haha. We stopped to get ice cappuccinos at the fantastic coffee place near the Pantheon, I wish I could remember the name! Then we walked into the Pantheon and looked at Raphael's tomb as well as the first king of Italy. We had to hustle back to a bus stop because we had our Vatican tour at 2. We also had to run by the apartment to grab the tickets...my bad. Poor Gigi and Mom had to try and keep up because I didn't really plan accordingly. We arrived at the meeting spot 5 minutes late and no one was there. We checked Gigi's phone to see if anyone had called, and she had one missed call. It was Kyle, apparently we were supposed to meet at 1:45 and they had already gone inside the Vatican museum. It wasn't too bad though we got inside and met them within 10 minutes. I felt bad for making them wait but we didn't get too late of a start. It was a beautiful tour again, and I was have deja vu. I heard certain things I hadn't heard before, and my mom and I found so much hebrew all over the place!
Mom standing in our window looking at the view of the courtyard
Mom and Gigi in front of Residence San Pietro 
Tossing coins at the Trevi!
Mom and I at the Trevi
Taking one for the team
Saint Alissa (at the Pantheon)
After the tour we said goodbye to MK and her family as it would be the last time I'd get to see her :( then we said goodbye to Frederica because that was our last tour with her. We headed back to the Residence for a bit in hopes that Gigi's bag had arrived. It still hadn't. It's been absolutely ridiculous...luckily she had a change of clothes in her carry on but we're leaving for the Almafi coast Wednesday afternoon so she kinda needs the rest of her things, and the airports been so difficult. My mom and I headed out to dinner around 8 to my favorite pizza place Dar Poeta (the one with the nutella calzone). I was very proud of my navigating skills and we made it there unscathed. It was super crowded but we got a table by the door. We ordered a salad to share, then two pizzas so we could bring the leftovers home for Gigi because she was staying waiting for her suitcase (which never came). My mom got eggplant and I got my favorite with pesto cherry tomatoes mozz and potatoes. Leave it to my mom to talk to strangers even in a different country, a pregnant woman was by the door paying for her meal and my mom was complementing how beautiful she looked. Her husband said, "Have you been drinking?" and laughed hahaha. It was too funny but they were a sweet couple and she was veryyyy pregnant. We finished the delicious meal and decided it would be best to get a cab home because I had no idea how to get back to the bus stop haha. It was a wonderful evening and we get to sleep in some the next morning because we're going to see the pope at 10:30!

Nutella calzone yum
3rd nutella calzone...

No comments:

Post a Comment