Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Bella Notte

Friday we slept in for a little but we were planning on visiting Marymount so we couldn't sleep for too long. I never got a response back from my teacher if we could come visit the class so we ended up not going. Instead we do what we do best, shop!

First we went back to the same restaurant I had my very first meal in Rome. I got the caprese pizza again and it was just as good as the first time I'd had it. I really felt like I came full circle throughout these past 5 weeks! We walked down to the river where there are vendors selling all sorts of things. We picked up some gifts and knick knacks and lemon granita, which is like an icey. After walking around there for a bit we headed towards another shopping street near Risorgimento. After all of my self control avoiding buying things from the clothing vendors, my mom convinced me to buy a maxi dress and skirt and flowy top. Now I know where I get it from.

We stopped at 200 degrees, the sandwich shop with fantastic paninis, we also grabbed some Old Bridge. I specifically treasured these last few gelatos. We went back to the Residence to take a nap before we headed out again later that night. We went back to Piazza Navona but on the way I got a bit turned around but we ended up on some really bumping street. There were tons of people going out and we stopped at this cute little restaurant. I can count on one hand the amount of meals I've actually eaten inside on this trip. I'll miss sitting at all the outdoor cafes facing piazzas and cobblestone streets. I finally had some steak, which I've been craving throughout this trip. It was beef strips with rosemary and it was delicious. The dinner was so entertaining because we were sitting outside on what seemed to be just a street for walking, but before we knew it there were cabs and vespas coming through the entire time. Poor Gigi was sitting on the side closest to the road and we thought she was gonna get hit a few times.
Close call haha
After dinner we walked over to Piazza Navona and admired the view at night. We sat down at a little place so the ladies could get some cappuccinos. A creepy man started talking to us after I was complaining about the toilet inside. The seat wouldn't stay down, it was automatic and popped back up as soon as you stood up so hit smacked my butt when I stood up. He leaned over to our table and said, "Haven't gotten a hang of the toilets yet have you?" and then proceeded to tell us how he was an industrial "spy". Whatever. He had the crazy eyes as I told my mom, but she's so friendly to strangers she continued to have a conversation with him haha. We walked over to where they were doing the cool spray paint paintings where they make things look like the night sky and what not, Gigi bought one of the colosseum for her son it looked so cool!
Piazza after dark
Spray paint art
Saturday we had an early start because we needed to stop by the office to check out and pay for the room. We also asked Frederica (Max's sister who works at the Residence as well) where we could take the train for a day trip. She gave us instructions, including two train transfers, to get to Ostia, a beach south of Rome. And we were off! The first train ride was a breeze from the San Pietro train station near the Residence, then we had to walk down a street to another train station leading to the Ostia area. It was completely packed. There were tons of young people and tourists hopping on the train to the beach. We stood on the train for about 20 minutes and it wasn't leaving. Then everyone ran off to get to the next train over which was leaving in like 30 seconds. We made it in time but now it was even more crowded and hotter. There was absolutely no air flow and we were on the train from the first stop to the very last. We finally made it and hopped off the train to feel the ocean breeze. It was about 11:30 at this point so we stopped to grab a quick light lunch then rent some chairs and an umbrella. Silly me didn't even wear a bathing suit, I thought we were going to walk around the town more than just lay on the beach. It was beautiful weather though, and I don't think I got too bad of a shorts/tank top tan line. I had so much fun people watching. Italian beaches are extremely entertaining. Again so many speedos, enough to last me a lifetime. And some boobies, but even more tushys as the ladies were rocking the thong bikini's. I would've been overdressed in a regular bikini let alone shorts and a tank top!
Ostia lido beach!
Sitting in front of us was the cutest dad and daughter. It was just the two of them and he was the most tender father I've ever seen. The little girl couldn't have even been 2 yet, and she was so well behaved. We kept making eye contact and I would try smiling and making faces at her. It was rare for the Italian babies but she actually smiled back. We stayed at the beach for at least 4 hours and it was so relaxing. We hopped on the train back and didn't get back till 8 or so. We went straight to Hosteria Pizzeria, my favorite. This would be my 5th time there this trip! Of course I ordered the carbonara and a rice ball, called suppli. We also got a free appetizer from our waiter. There was entertainment yet again as we had a violinist, 3 accordion players, and a guitarist serenade us. And being friendly Americans we gave each of them a little change. After dinner we walked over to Dolce Maniera, the bakery and I got one last napoleon and Mom and Gigi picked out some cookies.

Then came what I've been dreading. The final Old Bridge gelato. As I turned the corner sullen and downtrodden, I could see the line. Wait...the line was alllll the way around the corner of the building. It was the longest I've ever seen it. Of course my very last gelato needed to include a 20 minute wait. Oh but it's worth every minute. I stood there holding strong slowly progressing through the line deciding what 4 flavors I would get in my 3 euro cone, I was stepping it up for the last gelato. This little girl, no older than 3 marched up the line getting in front of me. She turned around and looked at me and shook  her finger as if to say "No no no, no gelato for you" She was like the gelato nazi. I laughed and her older brother came and grabbed her and pulled her back to her family in line. But she wasn't done...she marched back up again and cut the entire line trying to get gelato haha. Her brother and mother came this time to pull her back. Even she knew how good this darn gelato was. I settled on mint, nutella, caramel, and bacio which ended up being a delicious combination.

As we strolled back to the Residence I took my time. I was walking slowly to try and absorb all the last views of the city I would see. When I got to St. Peter's square I actually started tearing up a bit. It was so sad to say bye to the place I've been living in, loving, and learning about for the past 5 weeks. It was truly a beautiful night though, "bella notte" and a wonderful ending to a wonderful experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment