Monday, May 14, 2012

The World is a Rainbow

After an hour commute we made it to Marymount International School and our orientation consisted of the warning, "they touch a lot and talk a lot". It was definitely true. The school is about 85% Italian and their culture just consists of a lot more contact. I found a few boys that were embracing and even gave a little kiss or too...but I digress. The school has 50 different nationalities but most of the kids in my class were either half italian or full blooded. The school was founded by the Sacred Heart of Mary. None of the buildings were originally meant to be classrooms except for the high school and middle school portion. My classroom used to be a bedroom when it was a boarding school so they're all a little funky shaped.

We took a tour of the campus and the cafeteria is amazing. I had a 4 course lunch including a pasta dish, a meat dish, a salad, and dessert. Why didn't we eat like this in elementary school?? There's also a bar (cafe) in the cafeteria which sells cappuccinos, panino's (sandwiches), and an assortment of other food. I personally had a sugar glazed croissant as a snack.

I was introduced to Mrs. O'Connor's class and the children all cheered. I'd say that's a pretty good start. I took a seat and listened as the teacher explained a book they were about to read about sunflowers. They read the book and later on in the class we planted sunflower seeds and painted a tall flower and each student painted leaves and petals which we taped on. The kids also had snack twice a day, recess twice a day, and said a prayer twice a day. They also sing songs all throughout the day. One of which was called Rainbow, I couldn't wipe the smile off my face. There were hand motions such as making a rainbow and stirring the melting pot of the world. The chorus was "The world is a rainbow!" Which couldn't be more true after seeing all the diversity in this school compared to what I'm used to.

It was definitely a challenge first understanding each child's name but more importantly what the heck they were saying. Every single one of them is fluent in Italian and speaks it constantly. They are supposed to use English in school but as these are Kindergartners they are just starting to learn the language. They were able to understand what I was asking but answered in Italian a lot.

Now to my youngin's names:
  -Maria-Cecelia (pronounced Maria Chechelia)
  -Leo (pronounced Lay-o)
  -Edo (pronounced Ay-do, and short for Eduardo-Maria)
  -Francesca
  -Francesca
  -Francesco
         i'm not kidding...
  -Ali (who's a boy)
  -Ramono
  -Alessandro
  -Alex
  -Lao (prounced La-ow)
  -Ucheama (prounced Ooh chema)
  -Ricardo

Whew. I actually memorized their names pretty quickly because they're so interesting and the kids are so darn good looking. I'm not joking these are the most beautiful children I've ever seen. I got the chance to ask a lot of them where they're from and it ranges from Finland, Australia, and parts of Africa.

Now a few little funny anecdotes, and let me remind you that each child has a veryyy strong accent so nothing will sound as cute typed up:

        I took Alessandro and Lao to the bathroom during recess and they were taking a little while so I asked if they were almost done. Alessandro comes out and asks me, "Do you speak Italian?" and I told him I spoke a little. And he was using his hands trying to express something, he was raising his arm up and down saying "he's uhhh, he still has to uhhh" and I said..."Wipe?" "Yess! Wipe hehe, he'll be done soon." I also had to make them both go back and wash their hands. Boys are gross.

       The little boy Ali has to go to the bathroom more than any child I've ever met. He reminds me of the kid from Up just a little more Spanish looking. He's an adorable little plump child constantly saying, "Mizz Amby, Mizz Amby" (in Italian the h's are silent). He also looks at me pointing and says, "Toilet? Toilet?". He gets his point across haha.

        I was helping at lunch pouring milk and water into cups for the kids, they don't have milk cartons and they use real glass plates and silverware. One of the children from the other kindergarten class looked at me and said, "What iz yo name?" and I told him. He said, "No, your name iz Mizz Amburger." Memories of being called hamburger in elementary school all came rushing back. At least it's better than hambooger.

All in all elementary schoolers never fail to entertain. There were a ton of other little things but I won't bore you. Instead I'll inform you of the parents nurturing these dear children. A little more background first, Marymount is a very highly priced private catholic school. Some of the parents of these kids are a professional soccer player (I've yet to learn his name), the owner of Colgate toothpaste, the CEO of Fendi, the creator of BVLGARI, an Ethiopian King's daughter, and tons of Diplomat's children. I will attempt to work my magic and hopefully these children will give me money and make me a princess before I leave.


1 comment:

  1. You already are a princess Alissa Amburger. I love it! They sound so precious. That's a good girl, make connections. You may end up a private tutor and jet around the world. Oh, my dream, sorry. I knew they would love you.
    Mom

    ReplyDelete