Sunday, May 13, 2012

Rome wasn't built in a day...

Outside the Colosseum before our tour!

We all met up at 11:50 this morning outside in the courtyard. From there we took the train again heading towards the Colosseum. We got off the train and hopped on the metro and landed right in front of the huge structure! We grabbed a quick bite to eat at the metro station before our tour. Fredrica took us through one of the main entrances to the colosseum right where the emperor used to sit to watch the battles. We then walked around the first floor of the colosseum then went upstairs to the second tier. It was such an incredible view especially imagining everything that used to go on there. We saw underneath where the floor of the arena used to be into the elevators used to bring lions, tigers, and bears (oh my!) and whatever other creatures they used to fight against (I don't really think they had bears in Ancient Rome...). Fredrica said that up to 200 men would need to work underneath the arena during a fight...that's insane! 
A view from the second tier, you can see people taking pictures on the first level and then underneath where the arena used to be! There's a bit of the floor that's been rebuilt.

We left the colosseum and headed towards the Palatine Hill which is one of the 7 hills in Rome and the most important because it's where Rome was said to be founded. It looked like a park with ancient relics here and there. We walked up steps to the roof of one of the structures where we beheld the city in all its glory. I have never seen anything like Rome, a modern city living side by side so many structures and buildings filled with immense amounts of history. 
One of the views of the Palatine Hill!


We then walked to the Forum which used to be the center of Ancient Rome. It has archs, which represent when Rome had a victory over another city. One of the archs however used to have a donut shop in it back in ancient times...who doesn't love donuts? And another arch held a barber shop. I hear Caesar's haircut was all the rage. Speaking of Caesar, we also saw his tomb!
One of the arch's!
Caesar's tomb!
After this long trek we went met up with Max and headed to what he said is the best pizza in Rome. And he was right. I have never eaten so much pizza in my life. We had 5 different pizzas on our table of 10 and another 5 pizzas on another table of 12. I had a slice of the anchoive pizza, zucchini pizza, zucchini flower pizza, margarita pizza, and a spicy sausage pizza. I had multiple slices of at least two of these pizzas. To finish it off Max told us there was a nutella pizza for dessert. I almost started crying then and there. I watched as they put the finishing touches on the 8 nutella calzones coming out of the kitchen. They were covered in powdered sugar and cocoa with a fluffy crust. I quickly cut myself a huge piece slowly biting down on this heavenly creation. The nutella oozed out of the crust and into my heart. I'm never leaving Italy.
The beautiful nutella calzone
I'm the happiest girl in the world.
We ended the perfect day with a perfect evening stopping on our way home at a park about a mile away from our apartment. From this park we had the most magnificent view of the city. A picture can't do justice but the view literally took my breath away.
Roma <3
Wish me good luck because we're off to school in the morning! Can't wait to meet the yougin's i'll be working with for the next month. I hope they can teach me some Italian and hopefully I can teach them something in return. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment